The Special Need Nursing team are key professionals based onsite within the Special
Schools in Calderdale, they are instrumental in providing the best possible health and
education outcomes to pupils aged 3 - 19. We aim to be accessible, responsive and offer a
confidential service operating Monday to Friday 8:45 am to 15:45 pm
The Special School Nursing Team offer support and advice also early intervention over a
wide range of health related matters with care tailored to meet individual need as well as
offering health advice on a wide range of health topics.
The School Nurse:
- Supports school and parents/carers to meet the health care needs of pupils with special and complex medical needs, to enable them to access a full national curriculum.
- Provide health advice and support to the school, its pupils, staff and parents and carers.
- Liaise with other professionals including: Dietician's, Consultants, GP's Physiotherapists, Occupational Therapists, Speech and Language Therapists and the Children's Community Nursing Team and any others involved in the children's care delivery.
- Make referrals to other health care providers.
- Advise on health education.
- Safeguards and promotes the welfare of pupils, helps in advising on healthy choices and lifestyles to families and the school community as a whole.
- Advise on healthy eating, while working along side other professionals.
- Provides training to the school community on Gastrostomies, Epilepsy and other complex care requirements.
- Pupils parents and carers are welcome to contact the Nursing Team in school on and health related matter and seek confidential advice and support.